"In the early part of my career, I was the Director of a Women’s Wellness Center and Co-Director of Women’s Health at a large multi-specialty clinic. I became more and more interested in stress, burnout and finding ways to create a healthy, productive integration of work and life. My teachers were my patients (often the “worried well”), my three children, my own health and interesting leadership challenges. Over the years I developed a rewarding career path in medicine, finding ways to pursue my diverse professional interests, whilst also achieving personal well-being. Seeing my colleagues wrestle with the same challenges that I had, and witnessing the escalating rates of burnout amongst physicians, ultimately persuaded me to move into coaching physicians. I wanted to use my own experience to provide physicians with the encouragement, support and resources that would help them create a career path that inspired and fulfilled them on both a personal and professional level. My Signature Coaching Program "Thrive to Lead MD" is the roadmap that I use to help my clients design the life and career that work for them."
Origin of Company Name - Athasmed...
Searching for a unique name for my business led me to an exploration of my Celtic roots. Incorporating the word joy into this name deeply resonated with me. In Old Irish, the word for joy is " áthas". Hence, was born the name Athasmed, an apt and meaningful juxtaposition describing the spirit of my business i.e. Joy in Medicine.
Jacqueline Huntly MD is a certified Physician Development Coach Physician. She is President and Founder of Athasmed, LLC, a Physician Career and Leadership Development coaching business. She currently holds an appointment as Professor on the clinical scholar track in the Department of Bioethics and Medical Humanities at Mercer University School of Medicine.
She is a retired board-certified physician in Public Health and General Preventive Medicine. She trained in both Family Practice and Preventive Medicine and practiced for several years in general practice and urgent care. She has been Director of a Women’s Wellness center and Co-Director of Women’s Health in a large multi-specialty clinic in Pennsylvania. She has held other faculty positions, including academic faculty in the Family Medicine Residency, Memorial University Medical Center, Savannah, GA (teaching Preventive, Lifestyle and Integrative Medicine) and Clinical Assistant Professor at Mercer University School of Medicine.
She developed her first coaching business in 2007, initially working part-time as she pursued other interests. She is the President and Founder of Athasmed and works full-time as a physician career and leadership coach and speaker.
Why my clients have confidence in me as their physician coach
I love coaching physicians and working with them to fully develop their personal style of self-leadership. They know that I will act as a confidential sounding board where they can fully explore their career and leadership potential. I encourage my clients to:
- Think in new and exciting ways.
- Brainstorm exciting new opportunities.
- Help create the structure, focus, and support to stay in action.
- Stay accountable towards reaching goals.
- Always believe that change is possible.
- Fully trust that finding fulfillment is achievable.
I so look forward to having a conversation with you. Please contact me for a complimentary call.
Provide excellence in career and leadership coaching so that physicians can lead and thrive from within.
To promote a culture in medicine that fosters compassionate, respectful and healing leadership.
- Professor (clinical scholar track) Department of Bioethics and Medical Humanities Mercer University School of Medicine, Savannah, Georgia (Present)
- Independent Consultant in Preventive, Lifestyle and Integrative Medicine to Family Medicine Department, Memorial University Medical Center MUMC), Savannah, Georgia
- Clinical Assistant Professor Mercer University School of Medicine, Savannah Campus at MUMC
- Associate Director Family Medicine Department, Memorial University Medical Center (MUMC), Savannah, Georgia
- Assistant Faculty- South University, Savannah, GA and Armstrong Atlantic State University, Savannah, Georgia
- Director Women’s Wellness Center, Guthrie Clinic, Sayre, PA
- Urgent Care, Fayetteville and Raleigh, NC
Medical Residency and Education
- Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta: Preventive Medicine Residency
- University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill: Internship Family Medicine
- Rotating General Practice Training (England and Scotland): Birmingham Accident Hospital; Birmingham Maternity Hospital; East Birmingham Hospital; Selly Oak Hospital, Birmingham, England and Stracathro Hospital, Brechin, Scotland
- University of Birmingham Medical School, Birmingham, England: Pre-medical and MD training
- University of North Carolina School of Public Health (now UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health) , Chapel Hill: Masters in Public Health (Epidemiology
- Physician Coaching Institute (ICF accredited)- Certified Physician Development Coach
- Coaches Training Institute (ICF accredited)– Co-active Coach Training
- Search Inside Yourself Leadership Institute (SIYLI) Engage program-Graduate- (Training in Mindfulness and Emotional Intelligence)
- Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine- Fellow
- Mindfulness Meditation for Healthcare Practitioners - Workshop (University of Massachusetts Medical Center-Jon Kabat-Zinn PhD)
- Clinical Training in Behavioral Medicine - Workshop (Harvard Medical School, Mind/Body Institute-Herbert Benson MD)
- Integrative Yoga Therapy- certified Yoga teacher