"I first became interested in stress, burnout and finding ways to create a healthy, productive integration of work and life when I was Director of a Women’s Wellness Center and Co-director of Women’s health at a large multi-specialty clinic. My teachers were my patients (the “worried well”), my three children and my own health. Over the years I explored a diverse career path in medicine, finding different ways to pursue my professional interests, whilst also achieving personal well-being. Seeing my colleagues wrestle with the same challenges, and experience escalating rates of burnout ultimately persuaded me to move into physician coaching. I wanted to use my own experience to provide physicians with the encouragement, support and resources that would help them create a career path that inspired and fulfilled them on both a personal and professional level. My Signature Coaching Program "Thrive to Lead MD" is the roadmap that I use to help my clients design the life and career that work for them.
Origin of Company Name - Athasmed...
Searching for a unique name for my business led me to an exploration of my Celtic roots. Incorporating the word joy into this name deeply resonated with me. In Old Irish, the word for joy is " áthas". Hence, was born the name Athasmed, an apt and meaningful juxtaposition describing the spirit of my business i.e. Joy in Medicine.
Jacqueline Huntly MD is a certified Physician Development Coach Physician. She is President and Founder of Athasmed, LLC, a physician career and leadership development business.
She is board certified in Public Health and General Preventive Medicine. She trained in both Family Practice and Preventive Medicine and practiced for several years in general practice and urgent care. She has been Director of a Women’s Wellness center and Co-Director of Women’s Health in a large multi-specialty clinic in Pennsylvania.
She has held a number of faculty teaching positions, including most recently as part of the academic faculty of the Family Medicine Residency, Memorial University Medical Center, Savannah, GA, teaching Preventive, Lifestyle and Integrative Medicine and holding an appointment as a Clinical Assistant Professor at Mercer University School of Medicine.
She developed her first coaching business in 2007, initially working part-time as she pursued other interests. She is the President and Founder of Athasmed and works full-time as a physician career and leadership coach and speaker.
Why my clients have confidence in me as their physician coach
I love coaching physicians and working with you to take charge of your well-being so together we can reconnect you to a future that inspires you.
As a physician myself, I know what it is like to feel frustrated and burnt-out in a career that you once were passionate about (in my case, like many others, since I was about 8 years old). I understand the guilt and loneliness of feeling unhappy and dissatisfied. I recognize the uncertainty and fear that can keep you stuck, uncertain and unwilling to take the necessary steps to move forward.
However, I also know the joys of making that first move toward the next phase of your career and discovering fresh and exciting opportunities. When I saw how many other physicians were wrestling with the same issues that I had, I wanted to support and encourage them as they sought to renew themselves and revitalize their careers.
For the past six years, I have been helping physicians navigate the challenges and discover the rewards of creating a new career path. Some have decided to stay in clinical medicine, while others have moved on to non-clinical and even non-medical careers. The common denominator is that they have rediscovered their passion and purpose in careers where they can thrive personally and professionally. There is a path for everyone and my mission is help you find the one that works best for you.
Think of me as a confidential sounding board where you can explore all the options that are available to you. I will:
- Encourage you to think in new and exciting ways.
- Brainstorm exciting new opportunities with you.
- Help create the structure, focus, and support for you to stay in action.
- Keep you accountable toward reaching your goals.
- Always believe that change is possible.
- Fully trust that you will achieve the success that you are looking for.
I so look forward to having a conversation with you. Please contact me for a complimentary call.
Provide excellence in physician coaching so that my clients can thrive and achieve their career and leadership potential.
To foster a culture in medicine that achieves quality patient care and mutual respect, compassion, joy and well-being for healthcare professionals.
- Independent Consultant in Preventive, Lifestyle and Integrative Medicine to Family Medicine Department, Memorial University Medical Center MUMC), Savannah, Georgia
- Clinical Assistant Professor Mercer University School of Medicine, Savannah Campus at MUMC
- Associate Director Family Medicine Department, Memorial University Medical Center (MUMC), Savannah, Georgia
- Assistant Faculty- South University, Savannah, GA and Armstrong Atlantic State University, Savannah, Georgia
- Director Women’s Wellness Center, Guthrie Clinic, Sayre, PA
- Urgent Care, Fayetteville and Raleigh, NC
Medical Residency and Education
- Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta: Preventive Medicine Residency
- University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill: Internship Family Medicine
- Rotating General Practice Training (England and Scotland): Birmingham Accident Hospital; Birmingham Maternity Hospital; East Birmingham Hospital; Selly Oak Hospital, Birmingham, England and Stracathro Hospital, Brechin, Scotland
- University of Birmingham Medical School, Birmingham, England: Pre-medical and MD training
- University of North Carolina School of Public Health (now UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health) , Chapel Hill: Masters in Public Health (Epidemiology
- Physician Coaching Institute (ICF accredited)- Certified Physician Development Coach
- Coaches Training Institute (ICF accredited)– Co-active Coach Training
- Search Inside Yourself Leadership Institute (SIYLI) Engage program-Graduate- (Training in Mindfulness and Emotional Intelligence)
- Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine- Fellow
- Mindfulness Meditation for Healthcare Practitioners - Workshop (University of Massachusetts Medical Center-Jon Kabat-Zinn PhD)
- Clinical Training in Behavioral Medicine - Workshop (Harvard Medical School, Mind/Body Institute-Herbert Benson MD)
- Integrative Yoga Therapy- certified Yoga teacher